2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened (not runny or whipped)
8 ounces cream cheese, softened (not whipped)
about 2 cups powdered sugar
2 jars (12 -14 ounces each) of maraschino cherries
In a small bowl, mix together flour and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl with electric mixer, cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
Add flour mixture to butter and cream cheese and blend in just till combined. Don’t overwork the dough.
Form dough into a ball and flatten into a disk about 2 inches thick. Wrap in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness on a cutting board or flat surface sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Using a ruler for accuracy, cut dough into 2×2 squares with a knife.
Place 1 maraschino cherry in the center of each square and fold 2 sides so that they meet and cover the cherry. Be sure to secure dough to prevent opening up during baking.
Bake at 375 degrees on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper for about 10 minutes or until bottoms are just lightly browned. Do not over-bake.
Let cookies cool on a wire rack.
When completely cooled, sprinkle cookies with powdered sugar.
Baked cookies can be stored frozen for up to 3 months sealed in an airtight, freezer safe container or freezer safe baggie.
1. Think eighty/twenty. Eighty percent of the time challenge yourself and make good choices, and twenty percent of the time allow yourself to color outside of the lines. Moderation is the key to long term success.
2. Eat slowly and stop when you feel ALMOST full, rather than eating until you feel “stuffed.”
3. Stop before you eat something and ask yourself. Is this worth it? Is this the best choice I can make right now?
4. Eat healthy before you go to a holiday party and decide that nothing tastes as good as being lean feels. Keep repeating that to yourself.
5. Decide how you would like to look and weigh (body fat percent). Act as if you already weigh that amount NOW. How do you feel? How do you eat? How do you interact?
6. Make a contract with yourself and have a friend or your spouse sign it. Commit to certain rules for a given period of time -like having only a couple of bites of dessert at Christmas parties and/or completing a certain number of workouts over the holiday season. At the end of the contract period give yourself a reward (not food obviously) for completing the contract successfully. Only give yourself the reward if you complete the commitment.
7. Make a goal for January 1st rather than waiting to make a New Years Resolution. Write it down and place it somewhere visible along with a list of goals that you’ve accomplished in the past. If you’ve done it before, you can do it again!
8. If you hear yourself say “Fu&% it!” when about to eat something, do the exact opposite of what you’re about to do!
Chris is also the creator of the amazing phone app BODYFATE: a fitness game that entertains and challenges you while getting you into the best shape of your life! It’s a killer workout you can do anywhere, anytime. I use it when I can’t get to the gym and I even use it at the gym as my “personal trainer” to help me with my workout.
Don’t let the characters in this cartoon fool you- this is one ass-kicking circuit workout! Featured in The New York Times, Men’s Fitness and ABC News, this app is like having your own personal trainer programmed right into your phone.
4 Tablespoons cranberry sauce (you can also use cranberry jelly)
2 ounces orange juice
2 ounces tequila
1 ounce fresh lime juice
limes wedges for garnish
Fill a cocktail shaker 3/4 of the way full with ice. Add cranberry sauce, orange juice, tequila and lime juice. Cover shaker and shake for 30 seconds. Strain into a cocktail glass over ice. Garnish with a lime wedge.
*For a salt rim: Spread about 2 tablespoons of kosher salt on a saucer. Run a lime wedge over the rim of cocktail glass to moisten. Then dip rim into salt to coat.
5 egg yolks
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice (squeezed from about 1 pound or 18-20 key limes)
1 teaspoon zest of key lime
1/4 teaspoon salt
*1 Graham Cracker Crust Pie Shell
** Whipped Cream Topping
lime slices for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, lime zest and salt and mix until well combined.
Pour into graham cracker crust and bake for 15 minutes until filling is set.
Cool completely, slice pie and top with a dollop of whipped cream and a lime slice for garnish.
*Graham Cracker Crust Pie Shell
Makes one 9 or 10-inch Pie Crust
2 cups crushed graham crackers
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter- melted
In a medium to large bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and brown sugar.
Mix in the melted butter a little at a time, using your hands to combine all ingredients.
Press crust mixture evenly into a 9 or 10-inch pie shell.
- All-Clad Deluxe Slow Cooker
- Breville Panini Press
- Citrus Juicer
- Kitchen Aid Artisan Stand Mixer
- KitchenAid Blender
- KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Bowl Attachment
- Le Creuset Classic 10” Square Grill Pan
- Le Creuset Signature Round French Oven
- Microplane Zester
- Nespresso Espresso Machine
- Nespresso Milk Frother
- Silicone Whisk
- Thermopen thermometer
- Wine Aerator
- Bon Appétit
- Cannelle et Vanille
- Chocolate and Zucchini
- David Lebowitz
- Dorie Greenspan
- Eat Well, Eat Cheap
- Mark Bittman
- Poor Man’s Feast
- Smitten Kitchen
- The Foodinista
- 1-2-3… Peanut Butter Cookies
- Apple Pie with Scotch-Spiked Cherries
- Auntie Kate’s Cream Cheese Cherry Cookies
- Baked Salmon with Pesto Sauce
- Beets: Love ‘em or hate ‘em…
- Blueberry Cobbler
- Blueberry Lemon Goat Cheese Cheesecake
- Bourbon Apple Crisp
- Bourbon Cranberry Sauce
- Braised Brussels Sprouts
- Brown Sugar Vanilla Ice Cream
- Buttermilk Ice Cream
- Buttermilk Pie with Fresh Berries
- Candy Corn & Peanuts
- Carrot Ginger Miso Dressing
- Chicken Cacciatore
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- Chocolate Molten Cake
- Chocolate Pots De Crème
- Chocolate Soufflé Cake
- Cream Scones with Currants
- Crème Brûlée French Toast
- Easy Pan-Seared Chilean Sea Bass
- Elvira and Her Very Wary Pumpkin…
- Fish Sticks with Tarter Sauce
- Fresh Corn and Avocado Salad
- Grilled Caesar Salad
- Grilled Rib Eye Steak & Cauliflower-Bacon Gratin
- Guinness Ice Cream Float
- Harissa Roasted Chicken with Spinach and Peas
- Heirloom Tomato and Burrata Salad
- Holiday Gumbo!
- Irish Scones with Currants
- Judy Rodgers- Zuni Roast Chicken and Ricotta Gnocchi
- Key Lime Pie
- Leftover Day: Cranberry Margaritas!!!
- Leftover Day: Pilgrim’s Pie
- Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- MAPLE CUPCAKES WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Mother’s Day Brunch
- Mussels Steamed in White Wine
- National Chocolate Day!!!
- One Bowl Blondies
- Oven Roasted Turkey:
The “Judy Bird” Technique
- PAN SEARED SCALLOPS OVER MANGO AVOCADO SALSA
- Peach Blackberry Cobbler
- Peanut Butter Buckeyes
- Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Pizza Alla Ollie
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Sea Salt Caramel Sauce
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Tart
- Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Rainy Day Banana Bread
- Red Beans and Rice
- Red Velvet Birthday Cake For Sam!
- Red Velvet Skillet Cake
- Roasted Buffalo Style Cauliflower
- Roasted Cauliflower with Curry and Chickpeas
- Roasted Shrimp Cocktail
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Lime and Maple Syrup
- Russell Cakes
- Salad with Carrot Ginger Miso Dressing
- Sauteed Spinach w/ Caramelized Onions
- Shrimp Scampi over Pasta
- Snowballs (Mexican Wedding Cakes)
- Soft & Chewy Gingersnap Cookies
- Spaghetti All’Amatriciana
- Spaghetti Carbonara & Simple Green Salad
- Strawberries Soaked in Red Wine
- The 5 minute app…
- The Best Pumpkin Pie!!!
- The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie
- The Ultimate Greek Salad
- Traditional Irish Coffee
- Tres Leches Cake
- Turkey Meatballs with Baby Artichokes
- Turtle Soup
- Watermelon and Goat Cheese Bites
- White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies with Sea Salt
- Wild Mushroom and Spinach Bread Stuffing
- Amy’s Ice Creams (Austin, TX)
- Andina (Portland, OR)
- Animal (Los Angeles)
- Au Pied De Cochon (Montreal)
- August (New Orleans)
- Babbo (New York City)
- Barley Swine (Austin, TX)
- Beast (Portland, OR)
- Brennan’s (New Orleans, LA)
- Café Pasqual’s (Santa Fe)
- Dicks (Seattle)
- E’s Oven (Anguilla)
- Gary Danko (San Francisco)
- Girl and the Goat (Chicago, IL)
- Gott’s Roadside Tray Gourmet (St. Helena, CA)
- Gramercy Tavern (New York City)
- Hector’s (Antigua, Guatemala)
- Herbsaint (New Orleans)
- Hopdoddy (Austin, TX)
- Irene’s Cuisine (New Orleans)
- J.G. Melon (New York City)
- Jar (Los Angeles)
- La Folie (San Francisco)
- Larchmont Village Wine and Cheese (Los Angeles)
- Le Club Chasse Et Peche’ (Montreal)
- Le Pigeon (Portland, OR)
- L’Isola (St. Barth)
- Mesón Panza Verde (Antigua, Guatemala)
- Next (Chicago, IL)
- Paula’s Pancake House (Solvang, CA)
- Portillo’s (Chicago, IL)
- Providence (Los Angeles)
- Street (Los Angeles)
- Surrey’s Cafe and Juice Bar (New Orleans)
- Swift’s Attic (Austin, TX)
- The Hart and the Hunter (Los Angeles, CA)
- The Hitching Post II (Buellton, CA)
- The Joel Palmer House (Willamette Valley, OR)
- The Lazy Ox Canteen (Los Angeles)
- Trattoria Grappolo (Santa Ynez, CA)
- Zazie (San Francisco)
- Zuni Café (San Francisco)